Sunday, May 3, 2009

MoV Day 20: Greek Stuffed Mushrooms


Woohoo! My family finally finished the Month of Veggies plan! The plan was great for inspiring me to be more creative with my vegetables - both which ones I serve and how I prepare them. Unfortunately, I don't think it did a darned thing to "Get [my] picky kid to start trying (and yes, loving!) vegetables in just one month" as claimed in the article. Oh well.

These stuffed mushrooms went over like a lead balloon with Abby. Is it just her? I can't really imagine any 3-year-old going for them. My husband and I ended up eating almost all of them by ourselves, and we quite liked them. I baked up the leftover stuffing (the recipe makes way more stuffing than I could jam into the mushroom caps) and Lizzy gobbled it down. But trying to get Abby to pick up the mushroom cap and take a bite was a no-go. I'll keep these on my list for appetizers to serve to adults!

Greek Stuffed Mushrooms

12 mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed and chopped
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped tomato
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Preheat oven to 425F. Bake mushrooms caps, smooth side up, for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add mushroom stem pieces and garlic. Cook, stirring, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the bread crumbs, tomato, and feta.

Scoop the filling into the mushroom caps. Return to oven and bake for 8 minutes longer. Enjoy!

4 comments:

MaryAnne said...

These just seem hard for a 3yo to eat, even if they liked the flavor...

LaDue & Crew said...

They sound delicious, but I think for a little one I would even dice up the mushrooms, maybe just put all ingredients into a food processor. Then, take slices of a multi grain, or a whole wheat white bread and remove the crusts. Spread the mushroom filling on and then roll up. Then slice it into smaller, manageable bite size pinwheels. Try it again and see if it works!

Kara said...

Ooh, LaDue, that sounds yummy! Great idea! I think Abby would like the flavor, she just couldn't bring herself to put the mushroom in her mouth, even when we cut them into four. The hubs and I enjoyed them, so we may not have pushed as hard as usual to get her to eat her share ;-)

cathy said...

How did I miss this? I absolutely love stuffed mushrooms - LOVE them - and this looks like a great one!