Wednesday, April 8, 2009

MoV Day 9: Fiesta Corn

Fiesta Corn was on the menu last night for Day 9 of our Month of Veggies project. I rarely serve corn, so this was all unfamiliar (or oft-rejected) territory for Abby. In fact, dinner started out like this:

But since ignoring it didn't make it go away, we pressed on. I resorted to bribery - not my favorite tactic by any means, and not something I do often. Every once in a while, I just get tired of Abby refusing to try new things and will tempt her with a treat if she will eat up her vegetables (or whatever it is). I know it's not the best plan, but I'm also not perfect - and when my other tactics fail (taking turns, asking her to take two bites before saying "no thank you", letting her feed some to me), I will sometimes try it. I just want her to try new things - she often ends up liking them and eating them willingly the next time it's offered. Last night, it worked - she cleaned her plate and declared the corn "deeee-licious"!

This corn was indeed delicious. I added in some lime juice to the recipe, because I watch a lot of Top Chef, and Chef Colicchio is always on the contestants' cases if they don't add acid to their dish. I thought it added a nice bright flavor!

Fiesta Corn

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground coriander

Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add diced peppers and saute over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tender - about 3 minutes. Add in frozen corn. Saute until heated through. Stir in lime juice, chili powder, salt, and coriander. Cook for 1 minute more.

No comments: