Wednesday, March 25, 2009

MoV, Day 2: Sunny Broccoli

Last night was Day 2 of the "Month of Veggies" plan. Up on the menu: Sunny Broccoli. I love broccoli and oranges - Abby has never deigned to try either (I know! I think she's the only kid in the country who turns up her nose at oranges!), so I had low hopes for the attempt.

But I was wrong! Abby tried both the broccoli and the orange slice! She ate all of her orange slice and took two bites of broccoli before saying "No thank you" to it. Lizzy ate all of the broccoli that I gave her. And most importantly, I thought this was delicious!! We will definitely be having this dish again.

Sunny Broccoli

(adapted from Parents Magazine)

1 head broccoli, chopped
2 Tbsp orange juice
1 tsp canola oil
1 clove garlic, minced
salt & pepper
1 orange, sliced

In a large pot, steam broccoli until bright green and tender, about 3-5 minutes. Whisk together orange juice, oil, and garlic. Salt and pepper to taste. Toss broccoli with orange juice mixture. Arrange orange slices on plate and top with broccoli.


Abby, giving me the classic look of "seriously, woman? Oranges and broccoli?" But at least she tried them!

Lizzy is my good eater. If only I can keep her that way!

No comments: