Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Frozen Bean Burritos

I actually made these a few weeks ago - but my (brand-new) microwave broke just as I tried to reheat one, so I couldn't really test my theory on the reheating times! But (weeks later) my microwave is finally back in business, so I can post these - they are yummy, quick, easy, and freeze wonderfully.

Frozen Bean Burritos

12-14 whole wheat tortillas (you could make your own!)
3 15-oz cans of beans (I used black and pinto), drained and rinsed
1 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp paprika
1 1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese

In a large, combine the beans, all spices, and cooked brown rice. Stir the ingredients well, mashing the beans slightly, and adding a few tablespoonfuls of water (just enough to make the mixture a little wet).

Heat your tortillas for a few seconds in the microwave, making them pliable. Scoop a few tablespoonfuls of bean and rice mixture on one end of a tortilla. Top with a small handful of cheese. Carefully roll the tortilla, tucking in the sides as you go. Wrap tightly and well with layers of plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining mixture and wraps. Place the wrapped burritos in a large freezer bag.

When you are ready to eat, you have a few options for reheating. You can reheat them for about 15-20 minutes in a 425F oven. You can reheat them entirely in a microwave (about 5 minutes in my new fixed microwave!) but they will be a little softer. My preference is to microwave them for about 3 minutes and finish them in a 425F oven for 8-10 minutes. These are great to have on hand for meals when you don't feel like doing much work!

1 comment:

C. Beth said...

They sound delish! Thanks!