Saturday, August 23, 2008

Good To Go Cheesy Spinach and Egg Muffins

This morning we had to get up bright and early and get in the car for a 3 hour drive to New Hampshire. Normally for these morning car trips we would hit a Dunkin Donuts for bagel sandwiches and coffee. I was inspired by Kara's savory muffins and thought that something similar would be the perfect car breakfast! I used a basic whole wheat muffin recipe and came up with these:




Good To Go Cheesy Spinach and Egg Muffins
(6 servings)


3/4 cup whole wheat
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons Smart Balance 50/50 (or butter or your favorite butter sub)
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ cup whole milk
3/4 cup fresh spinach, washed and chopped
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (I actually used 2 LiveActive cheddar cheese snacks cut up into little chunks...I actually think this was key to the deliciousness of these muffins)


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 6 cup muffin tin.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl
3. Stir the melted butter, egg, milk, spinach, and cheddar cheese together separate bowl until well combined. Stir in the flour mixture to form a batter (do not over stir).
4. Fill each muffin cup about ¼ full.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.


I made these the night before our trip and right before we walked out the door I zapped them for 30 seconds in the microwave. I also packed a container of 3 different types of grapes that I had washed and cut up. We brewed a pot of coffee, filled our thermos and we were off!


The muffins were a huge success! Not only did Neko love them but we did too! Sometimes baking with whole wheat can be hit or miss but here is definitely a case where it really, really works. I will definitely make these again.

1 comment:

pinkwallet said...

I made these today--they were delicious! Thanks for sharing!