Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Artichoke Hummus

I made this dip to bring to a playgroup yesterday, thinking that only the mommies would really go for it. After all, as I made it, Abby watched me and said "Oh yuck! I don't like artichokes! They are the yuckiest!" Even when I pointed out that she had never had an artichoke, or at least not in a long time, she maintained that they were the yuckiest, end of story.

As it turned out, the kids at the playgroup flocked to the veggies and dip, even bringing it down to their own kiddie table to share. And when my girls needed an afternoon snack, they requested the leftovers! So while I didn't take a picture of the dip per se, I do have a picture of the girls going at the dip and - even better! - scarfing down a bunch of veggies in the process!

Artichoke Hummus


1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 can/jar of artichoke hearts, drained (I used a 12 oz jar, but I think the cans come in 14 oz sizes)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
2 Tbsp olive oil
kosher salt (add to taste)

In a food processor, blend beans, artichoke hearts, lemon juice, rosemary, and olive oil together until smooth. Add kosher salt to taste, blending well after each addition of salt. Garnish with sweet paprika, if desired, and serve with lots of fresh-cut veggies!

8 comments:

Bran said...

interesting, I've never put artichoke in my hummus, I'll have to try it.

Kirsten said...

I just found out that artichokes has a ton of fiber - bonus for all age groups!

C. Beth said...

yuuuuuuummmmmy!!!!!

C. Beth said...

I just made this, and it is a winner!! Thanks!

Shelby said...

Hi Kara,

Although I love artichokes, I have to admit that they look weird, so I can’t blame your daughter for thinking they would be gross! To get her less squeamish about new foods in the future, you should try having her help you out in the kitchen! When kids are involved in making meals, they’re empowered to consider the portions and nutrients of what they’re eating. Cooking also helps children develop important skills, such as teamwork, leadership, and math. That’s why I work for The Kids Cook Monday, a new program launched by the Healthy Monday campaigns that encourages families to start off each week with a family-cooked and eaten meal. To learn more about the benefits of preparing and eating meals together, check out our website at http://www.healthymonday.org/the-kids-cook-monday/

We’re looking for people to get involved by cooking together each Monday and sharing their experiences on their blog! If you’re interested in participating, please email me at TheKidsCookMonday@gmail.com. Thanks!

Mayo

Amy B. said...

Nice revision, just like Branflakes, I've never tried putting artichoke in my hummus. Thanks for sharing, I wanna share this to my friends too in Foodista. If you don't mind just adding the foodista widget so readers will be directed to this recipe when they go looking for artichoke dishes :-)

Thanks and keep on posting!

healthykiddos said...

I never would of thought of artichokes. We use sun dried tomatoes, or roasted bell peppers. Thanks for another way to incorporate more veggies.

Business logo design said...

yummy..my mouth is full of water.Thanks for posting that`s great post.