Monday, May 18, 2009

Black and Blue Sauce

This week, Celeste and I will be playing with berries! I'm starting the week with a savory sauce that paired perfectly with roasted pork loin. The berries combined nicely with the thyme and pepper - it was fun to use berries in a non-sweet way!

Black and Blue Sauce

1 small onion, chopped small
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt & pepper
2 cups total of blueberries and blackberries
1/4 cup stock
2 Tbsp red wine (optional)

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the chopped onion, dried thyme, salt, and pepper (I did a fair amount of pepper to give the sauce a little kick). Cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften. Add in the berries. Cook, stirring, until berries are starting to release juice and break down. Pour in stock and wine, if using. Bring the mixture to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, until sauce is thickened and reduced. Serve with roasted pork or chicken.

(My husband wished it was thicker - if you like a thicker sauce, stir in 1 Tbsp of cornstarch dissolved in 1 Tbsp of water when the berries are well broken down)

4 comments:

Bran said...

Oh I just picked a bunch of Blueberries! This weeks theme will be GREAT for us! thanks.

Kara said...

I bet this would be great with all blueberries, too! I have nowhere to pick blueberries and am paying exorbitant grocery store prices, so I combo'd them with the slightly cheaper blackberries :-)

Call Me Cate said...

I just made the most delicious pork roast last night - but this would've made it even better. I even have all the ingredients (I bought a bunch of berries for smoothies). Next time!

Veronica Lee said...

Hi, I'm visiting from MBC. Great blog.