Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Calzones Two Ways

Calzones Two Ways

(Chicken and Broccoli...note: picture is before baking)
(and Peanut Butter and Jelly)

I received a bread machine for Christmas this year and decided to try out the pizza dough function. I thought calzones would be a great reheatable option to keep in the freezer. The dough was pretty stiff for my liking. I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows a way to make a doughier crust.

Crust:
1c. warm water
3/4 tsp. honey
1 tsp. kosher salt
1-1/2 tbsp. EVOO
2-1/2c. bread flour
1/3. c. whole wheat flour
1-3/4 tsp. bread machine yeast
cornmeal

Filling for the chicken and broccoli calzones:
1 cooked chicken breast cut into bite sized chunks
1c. mozzarella cheese
1c. fresh or frozen broccoli
1/2c. marinara or pizza sauce
Parmesan cheese

Filling for the peanut butter and jelly calzones:

I used-
2 Tbsp natural peanut butter
2 Tbsp currant jam

In the order listed, layer the ingredients in bread pan. Put in bread machine. Set machine to the pizza dough setting. Set loaf size to 1-1/2 lb. loaf. Press start. When machine is finished remove and knead the air out of the dough.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Put a little cornmeal onto a flat surface for rolling. Using dough balls about the size of a golf ball, flatten each ball into a disc shape and roll out until the dough is pretty thin. I think I did mine too thick. I know 'pretty thin' is not a great description but for some reason words are failing me on this one.

For the C&B calzones:
1. Spoon about 2 Tbsp. of the sauce onto half of the calzone
2. Top the sauce with a few chunks of chicken, a few chunks of broccoli and 2 Tbsp. of the mozzarella


Fold the dough in half and pinch the edges shut. Sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese on top. Bake on a foil lined cookie sheet (or better yet a pizza stone if you have one...I don't) and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

For the PB&J the filling is 1Tbsp of each peanut butter and jelly. I made the PB&J calzones about half as big as the C&B ones so the baking time was about 10 minutes.

Neko (and I) liked the PB&J ones the best. Sort of a healthier take on the Uncrustable. Enjoy!

No comments: