Saturday, September 6, 2008

Sweet Potato Gnocchi

I was so pleased with how much Abby liked the butternut squash gnocchi that I wanted to try another version. She loved these, too!

Sweet Potato Gnocchi
Total time: 15-20 minutes

1 cup mashed sweet potato
1 cup flour (plus more if needed)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ginger
2 tsp maple syrup
1 egg

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Add additional flour as needed until you have a stiff dough. Drop by teaspoonfuls into the boiling water and boil for 3-4 minutes, until they have risen to the top of the water. Remove with a slotted spoon and let drain on paper towels before serving.

I originally tried to concoct a tomato-peanut sauce for these (based on a lot of sweet potato-tomato-peanut combinations I saw when reading about African cuisine), but it came out kind of strange. So, Abby and I had these with good old melted butter and Parmesan cheese on top. I think they would be fabulous with an alfredo sauce as well.

No comments: