(makes 2 dozen)
2/3 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 c. butter (I used Smart Balance 50/50 blend)
2 tbsp molasses
1 large egg white
1/4 cup sugar (to roll cookies in)
2. In a separate bowl, mix brown sugar, butter, molasses, and egg white together.
3. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until well mixed.
4. Form mixture into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 2 hours in refrigerator.
5. (When 2 hours is up.) Preheat oven to 375°.
6. Shape dough into 1" balls.
7. Put sugar in a bowl. Roll dough balls in sugar.
8. Place 3 inches apart on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; let cool on a wire rack.