Thursday, August 21, 2008

BCT Muffins

I had a playgroup to go to this morning, and I knew I would need a fast and easy lunch to grab for Abby when we got home. Normally, I would turn to yogurt or string cheese and call it a day - but then I couldn't blog about it, now could I? So I figured I would throw together some savory muffins in the morning that could go straight from fridge to mouth when we got home.

BCT (Bacon, Corn, and Tomato) Muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 15-20 minutes

3/4 cup corn meal
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsp butter, melted and slightly cooled
3/4 cup corn kernels (thawed if frozen, drained if canned, or cut off of the cob)
1/4 cup chopped tomato
1 oz cooked, crumbled bacon

In a large bowl, mix together the corn meal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.

In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and butter.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined. Stir in the corn, tomato, and bacon until just combined. Divide between 8 muffin cups; bake in a 350F oven for 15-17 minutes.

These got an okay response. Initially, Abby liked it and said "yum!" a lot. And then, she noticed a piece of the bacon that was a little dark, said "oh no!" and wouldn't eat anymore. This is why cooking for toddlers (or at least for Abby) is so darned frustrating - the most minor thing can make her refuse an entire food. I'll freeze a few and serve a few at breakfast or lunch tomorrow... and most likely, my husband and I will just polish them off. Because, hello, bacon!! In a muffin! How can she not love them?? I like the general idea of this and think I'll tinker with other savory muffins in the future.

1 comment:

pinkwallet said...

I made these today too, using Morningstar's synth bacon. It was good, but salty. Next time, I'll need to scale back the amount of "bacon." Thanks again!